Thursday 6 September 2012

Video Ideas: Typography

So we've been trying to think of ways for how we can "use the medium" to it's full potential.  A typography video would be a neat (yes neat...) way to explore some of our ideas, perhaps about the origins  of memes or even any of the issues we cover.

The video below is way more complicated than what we would probably be able to do, but still pretty inspiring and a good watch.  It was one of the first typography/animation style videos that I ever saw, back when I was in high school.  Ever since then I've really liked the style and I've seen tonnes of videos utilising the form as a really informative and entertaining way of getting information across. 


It's definitely way more complex than what I was thinking, but something more along the lines of the next one, purely word-based, could be a bit easier?  I don't have much experience with making these sort of videos, my use of Flash or Adobe After Effects is limited to a brief dabbling in high school classes but nothing ever so sophisticated.  Perhaps one of you have some experience?  Otherwise maybe we can discuss a way of doing it that would be easier...


Let me know what you guys think!

2 comments:

Melissa Ong said...

I absolutely love Typography videos and I think they're a really unique way of presenting facts/ statistics and information that is very wordy in a way that will attract and maintain reader attention.
I think that we definitely need to include a video as it is so close to the meme genre and viral internet material but perhaps this is a little too far out of our expertise.
I does look do-able on first glance but I did a bit of research and found that you needed to use Adobe After Effects (which doesn't exist on our ML computers and would take us ages to learn). Definitely open to any other video related ideas though!

Caleb Tan said...

Great idea Jonno, but as Melissa said, it might be abit of a learning curve for us to be proficient enough at After Effects to produce a decent video. On the practical side of things, given that the video will just be featuring text and will rely heavily on music to keep the viewer engaged, we would require a decent music track to accompany the video and we have a choice of paying a lot of money for the music or infringing copyright laws.

Post a Comment